Negotiating the World of Sound Design
The following is an ever-growing list of resources
for those working in sound design and composition.
All documents are living and ever subject to change.
This document presents a recommended practice for sound system documentation. It is not a comprehensive collection of graphic symbols, terms, and necessary paperwork, but is a flexible framework of document forms and practices for practical communication. The information which designers and engineers must communicate can be represented in many forms; this document will identify and describe several of the most common. N
Definitions, Duties, Hourly Wage Calculator, Expense Calculator, Contract Riders, etc.
Click above for links to trainings and information about everything from streaming to remote recording.
Production Logistics & Building A Creative Team
Sample Sound Design Contract, Glossary of Terms, Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts, Sample Inclusion Riders.
An aggregated list of sources of music theory from around the world. This list is incomplete and very much in process! Email us suggestions!
A list of resources from the TSDCA Education Committee
Please CLICK HERE for Resources if you are being Harassed and for Anti-Racism Resources and Trainings.
Links to Diverse Theatre Artists include:
- Maestra – provides support, visibility, and community to the women and nonbinary people who make the music in the musical theater industry.
- Muse – cultivates more racial equity in theatrical music departments by providing access, internships, mentorships, and support to historically marginalized people of color.
- Parity Database – Creates visibility for women, trans, and gender-expansive playwrights, directors, and designers working in professional theatre in New York City. Provides a free online tool for artistic leaders who seek to create more equitable hiring practices for creative teams.
- Women+ in Theatrical Sound
- Theatre Designers and Technicians of Color
- POC in Audio database
- Make it Equal – via SoundGirls
- Production on Deck – Many Resources!
Become a member!
If you want to support the mission of TSDCA but not become a member – please donate here:
Join the Student Sound Designer Connection Facebook group HERE!
Anyone can join upon answering a few questions. Activities have included facebook live interviews with working professionals across the country. Check out the video library once you join the group! In the summer of 2020 students participated in the first-ever Creative Challenge.
We welcome students of all ages, skill sets, backgrounds, interests, and experiences.
This group was launched in the spring of 2020 in response to the Covid-19 crisis and the desire to create an online community for students.
In August of 2020 we launched the first Creative Challenge for students. TSDCA members mentored students over a two-week process, and the work presented was inspirational!!
On September 22nd, 2020, the second Creative Challenge was launched, with the participation of students and teachers from UCLA, Michigan Tech, Texas Tech, and others. This version of the challenge was focused on team projects.
There are some interviews and training videos available to non-members on our website. Check out conversations with G. Clausen, Palmer Hefferan, Pornchanok Kanchanabanca, Audio Podcast summit panels, and the video from the last student challenge. Click here!
There are so many ways to become successful in this field! You can apprentice to someone more experienced, work in a sound shop, join an audio crew to learn basics and meet people – everyone’s path is different.
Educational options include: