The Theatrical Sound Designers and Composers Association (TSDCA) is a professional membership organization of sound designers and composers for the performing arts working in the United States. Through advocacy, ongoing education, mentorship, and outreach, we seek to advance our community and promote sound design and composition as vital artistic components of the collaborative art of live theatre. TSDCA is not a union or collective bargaining unit, but will provide a forum for sound designers and composers to exchange ideas and engage in activities that will strengthen our field and reinforce our standing as artists in the theatre community.
In the fall of 2014, a group of 17 theatrical sound designers and composers from across the country began to meet informally. We discussed the profile of our field both onstage and offstage. We quickly realized that we wanted to form a more permanent group in which colleagues—from productions of many different sizes and types—could maintain and expand the dialogue we began. Our current group includes sound designers from Broadway, Off Broadway, regional theaters in the United States and international venues.
- Community: Provide our members forums for networking, exchange of ideas/practices, and mentorship.
- Advocacy: Give voice to professional Theatrical Sound Designers and Composers. Promote, to the larger theatrical community and public, the value and artistry of Reinforcement Sound Design, Conceptual Sound Design, and Theatre Music Composition.
- Education: Provide continuing education for all our members, established and emerging; union and non-union; Sound Designers and Composers. As artistic vision and technology evolve, so must we.
- Outreach: Work cooperatively with other theatrical organizations, and the larger sound and music community in the USA and worldwide, sharing ideas and information that advance all our common interests.
The Executive Board of TSDCA
- Jessica Paz, Co-Chair
- Lindsay Jones, Co-Chair
- Twi McCallum, Co-Vice Chair
- Elisabeth Weidner, Co-Vice Chair
- Michael Bodeen, Treasurer
- Jane Shaw, Co-Secretary
- Matt Tibbs, Co-Secretary
- Beth Lake, East Coast Rep
- Germàn Martinez, East Coast Rep
- Greg Mackender, Central Rep
- Katharine Horowitz, Central Rep
- Melanie Chen Cole, West Coast Rep
- Katherine Gonzalez, West Coast Rep
- Megan Deets Culley, Early Career Rep
- GW Rodriguez, Member at Large